Thursday, September 15, 2005

Why me Lord?

I have been having this raging debate about one of the mails I forwarded to a mutual friends yahoo groups. The mail was a comparison between the relief efforts taken after the Mumbai floods and Katrina (the hurricane, you moron)!

The mail claimed that we (Indians) were the winners on the basis of faster action, lesser deaths and better relief measures. The debate started right then, that the mail was illogical and immature, to pitch two natural disasters against each other to claim national superiority! Anyways I will spare you the details of the debate and come to the point of this blog. (Just that you know, my stand was Government apathy and theirs was nail L*J to the tree!!)

What started out as a patriotic ego boost, ended up shaking me up completely!

Right now the entire debate has become futile, I don’t even care if I win or lose! What I do care about is my life, my family’s life, my city, my people, my country, etc etc!

After reading about the Apathy the Bush government showed while handling this disaster, a lotta my values and beliefs have been shaken up.

I have been overwhelmed by fear, pity, anger and despair! Fear of being unprepared and gullible, pity on those who are suffering these things, anger because my life is nothing to the government/ society/ world/ all galaxies and despair because in natures eyes none of these discriminations matter, her fury is impartial!

Since the time I could read and think (yup it started only when I started collecting garbage from outside), I have always thought about how insignificant I am. My science teacher etched this fact in me quite well by saying that I am a pili on a bacteria, nuzzled under the appendage of a moth, floating on the drop of water, resting on the leaf of a giant red wood, in the Americas, if the galaxies were our milky way!

I know I am that insignificant in this giant make of things!

But I know I am valuable inspite of my laziness, ignorance, hopelessness and uselessness, I don’t know how I am important but I AM, ok? No dispute there. (Here ‘I’ is everybody Ofcourse, haha )! And this ‘me’ will be gone in a poof because of someone’s gradation of whether I am important or not!

Now I could go on about what’s lacking in Indian government, how people are not involved, what’s wrong with our society, blah blah blah!

But I am not gonna do that, I am just gonna conclude by saying “Each woman/man for themself”

Your life is too precious to be protected by family, society, government or humanity! Protect yourselves. Get a gun, buy a boat, build an underground safe house, rent an island and make a pact with god or the devil whoever suits your final destination. (I mean what’s the point in going to heaven if you cant be bad, right?)

Now you are asking, ‘Okay L*J so far I have read your ranting but, what’s the point?’
The point is simple-

Don’t get philosophical and blabber about your insignificance and fragility of human life!

You know why? Because thinking about these things will kill you faster than the actual things itself.

So enjoy the small things in life, help out your brethren in need and believe equality is not skin deep.

PS: BUSH I HOPE YOU ROT IN DEPTHS OF THE BANGALORE SEWAGE SYSTEM!!!

5 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lyn,

I had the smae argument with a bglr friend of mine for forwading that mail.... I too believe, its not a great idea to compare what happened when a natural calmity strikes...

Nice entry.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger L*J said...

Thanks Saj!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Divya said...

should have been more like "BUSH I HOPE YOU ROT IN DEPTHS OF THE PAKISTAN SEWAGE SYSTEM!"
then we can say "pakistna ke ghandi nalli ke khide"
On a serious note i agree with you,in both the cases lots of lives were lost .. thats more imp that comparinng whoz better??

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger naveen said...

marne waale tho mar gaye
jaane waale tho chal base`
jo chale gaye woh tho shaanti mein hain
jo rah gaye woh mar rahe hain unpe

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger L*J said...

@ Divya
I cumbletely agree abt the sewer source! :)

@ Naveen
hmmmmm.... got the point

@ Azhar
Thanx dude, could'nt access ur blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home